Friday, October 16, 2009

Almost there...

This week I started my precepting, which is where I pick the type of floor I want to work with, get buddied up with a nurse, and work their schedule for 135 hours. I get to be a lot more independent and try out how I want to do nursing when I'm on my own someday. I have to say, I love it! I really love nursing and I'm so excited to finally be an RN. Nursing is so different from what people think, even I didn't know what I was getting into when I started nursing school. The most intimidating part is there is so much responsibility. Not just with giving meds, but remembering to get everything done, patient care, making sure the patient is stable and noticing any changes, making sure the cna gets everything done, carrying out new orders the doctor writes, the list goes on and on. And I'll be accountable for all of it. Legally. But I just feel it, that I'm meant to be a nurse, despite my fears, I know this is what I want to do. It's such a unique profession, where you get to be part of peoples' lives, helping them when they need someone who's caring. Of course you get the crazy patients and mean ones, but that's why nurses have such a good sense of humor I think. Knowing I'll be done in less than two months has just made me think about how far I've come to get here and reaffirmed for me that this is what I want to do. Also, it feels like we'll be able to start a new part of our lives, and we can start our family after I'm done, it's made me think about a lot of things. I can't believe I've lived through nursing school and it's already almost over, but I'm so grateful and feel so blessed to be where I'm at right now. This is more of a journal entry, but I want to remember how I felt later on.

1 comment:

Stephanie H. said...

You are going to be such a great nurse!