Monday, January 25, 2010

Living the dream

So I worked Wednesday and Fri, Sat, Sun doing my first shifts to orient me as an RN. I have to start out by saying, I love it! At the same time, it feels like it can't be real, have I finally reached my goal? It is a totally different role than when I was a CNA. I'm working where I worked as a CNA on a medical telemetry floor. The scary part is that I'm the one responsible if something is done wrong. Even the things that the aid is supposed to do, I'm in charge of making sure they get done. And there is so much to remember! It's not just passing meds and spending time with your patients. I have to do so much, I went three hours yesterday without being able to check on one of my patients! Thank heavens for good CNAs that check on them for me. I see the patient and their family looking to me for answers to why they're sick, what should be done, they don't know I graduated a month ago! I don't volunteer to tell them either. It is so busy and nobody knows what it's really like until you work in health care. I feel so blessed though to have made it here. I have to admit, Tanner is the big reason I did (him and Heavenly Father). I always knew what my goal was, but he pushed me to do it and keep going. There are a lot of feelings I have about being a nurse, and this is all random, but I'm so glad I'm here!

4 comments:

Stephanie H. said...

Congratulations again Nina! I just know by seeing you interact with patients that you are going to be a great nurse! And with all of your experience you are way ahead of me when I started! And don't worry, I think everyone has to fake it for a while, but our patients don't have to know :)

Brent and Jessica said...

You are awesome! I am sure that things will continue to go well for you. I would let you be my nurse any time!

the laytons. said...

It's so exciting to finally be a nurse & to fulfill a dream is the best feeling in the world! You'll be an amazing nurse. You are so sweet, your patients will love you!

Lindsay said...

Congratulations! How exciting! I got a little teary-eyed reading because I think we can all relate to finally reaching a goal we had to work long and hard for.